Aims at identifying and prioritising emergent disciplinary and interdisciplinary marine scientific issues of European strategic importance, initiating analysis and studies in support of the regional and pan-European Research Strategies at the research- technology and research-policy interfaces. This strategic analysis will empower all regional nodes to develop a Strategic Research Plan, and establish a pan-European strategic forum for Marine Research Funding Organisations and science end-users, in adherence with the concept of defragmentation of the European Research Area. It will also inform all other regional WPs, in particular the implementation of Common Programmes (WP2) and Joint Calls (WP3).
- Task 1.1 - Updated inventory and analysis of existing national and regional science and technology plans and strategic priorities
- Task 1.2 - Support to the organisation of Regional Strategic Analysis Workshops
- Task 1.3 - Establishment of a Pan-European Strategic Forum
- D.1.1.1 Synthesis report on existing (sub)national (marine) science and technology strategies
- D 1.3.1 Reports of the Pan-European Fora
- D 1.3.2 Final SEAS-ERA strategic publication
Will be given the responsibilities to coordinate and harmonize a step-by- step approach between the different regions to address a process towards Common Programmes, mostly based on non-competitive funds operated directly by the research performing organisations (RPOs). It will facilitate the exchange of methodologies among the marine regions and will monitor the progress being made during their implementations. It will be in charge of implementing the common transversal programmes at the pan-European level.
- Task 2.1 Inventory of Research, Monitoring and Technological programmes and identification of the commonalities and gaps
- Task 2.2 General guidelines and procedure: Delivering an implementation process
- Task 2.3 Implementing common programme at pan-European level
- D 2.1.1 Report on priorities of research, monitoring and technology programmes, commonalities and gaps, and proposed pan-European Strategic Research Agenda
- D 2.3.1 Proposal for a pan-European programme based on juxtaposition of national programmes
- D 2.3.2 Proposal for a pan-European programme based on the merger of national programmes
Is devoted to the implementation of Joint Calls, one of the core components of the ERA-NET scheme. It will be instrumental in proposing the best procedure for implementing a sustainable trans-national competitive funding system of European marine research, including the operational aspects (e.g. MoUs, guidelines, templates, e-tools for submission of proposals, etc.). This system will be used in launching the different calls foreseen in the project at regional level (see WPs 6, 7 and 8) that will be further monitored and assessed, suggesting some follow-up activities.
- Task 3.1 General guidelines and procedures Task 3.2 Pan-European Joint Calls
- Task 3.3 Follow-up and assessment of outcomes
- D 3.2.1 Lists of funded projects
- D 3.3.1 Report on the results of the supported projects and recommendations for follow-up activities
Aims at bringing together the Marine Research Infrastructures managers to share with the scientific community a common vision, e.g. an infrastructure strategy for marine research among the partner countries, in line with the ongoing actions undertaken within the Capacity Programme (I3 and ESFRI projects), to propose rationales and guidelines for a better infrastructure planning and use. These should be workable within the ERA-Net activities (e.g. common programmes and joint calls), and will include a methodology for the use of industry infrastructures (like opportunity ships, offshore platforms, fishing boats) by public research.
- Task 4.1 Identification of research infrastructures priorities
- Task 4.2 Rationales and guidelines for a better infrastructure planning and use for the joint activities
- Task 4.3 Developing a methodology for the use of industrial infrastructures by public research
- D 4.1.1 A common strategic vision and roadmap for the investment in new infrastructures or in major updating
- D 4.2.1 MRIs common management guidelines for joint research activities
- D 4.3.1 Access methodology to both public and private marine infrastructures
Will bring marine Research Human Capacity to the level of excellence in Europe by assisting participant countries in building institutional and organisational capacity through human resources for the development of ocean-related activities in favour of a comparable level of expertise among regions, a better balance between the social, economic and environmental dimensions, and the attraction of young scientists. A pan-European training and mobility strategy for human resources will be a key component for enhancing trans-national cooperation.
- Task 5.1 Review of existing human capacity building schemes
- Task 5.2 Addressing common needs, specificities and imbalances
- Task 5.3 Implementing Human Capacity Building
- D 5.2.1 Report on "Identifying needs, specificities and imbalances in human capacity building"(only summary)
- D 5.3.1 Proposal for Human Capacity Building calls within Common Programs and Joint Calls.
- D 5.3.2 A pan-European training and mobility strategy for human
Aims at fostering collaboration between marine research funding agencies in the Atlantic Region towards developing a regional operational structure as part of an overarching European mechanism implemented by SEAS-ERA. Based on the experience gained by MarinERA, AMPERA, MariFish and other related ERA-Nets, the main objectives of this WP will be to:
- develop a strategic research agenda (SRA) for the Atlantic as a input to the pan-European SRA
- coordinate and bring together national and regional research instruments towards implementation of elements of the SRA
- set up the mechanism for joint calls in the Atlantic
- optimize capacity building in the region, including infrastructure development and facilitating researcher exchange in the projects funded.
- Task 6.1 Strategic Analysis in the Atlantic Region
- Task 6.2 Common Programmes in the Atlantic Region
- Task 6.3 Joint Calls in the Atlantic Region
- Task 6.4 Infrastructures in the Atlantic Region
- Task 6.5 Capacity building in the Atlantic Region
- Task 6.6 Coordination of the Regional Atlantic Network
- D 6.1.1 Draft Strategic Marine Research Plan
- D 6.2.1 Pilot common programme
- D 6.3.1 List of funded projects
- D 6.3.2 Proceedings of the Workshop on the discussion of the results of the supported projects and recommendations for future activities
- D 6.4.1 Report on the position of Atlantic Region RFOs on the ESFRI
Aims at fostering collaboration between marine research funding organizations in the Mediterranean Sea Region towards developing a regional operational structure (MeditERA) as part of an overarching European mechanism implemented by SEAS-ERA. Based also on the experience gained by other marine ERA-Nets, this WP has the same objectives as WP 6 related to the Region (e.g. develop a SRA for the Mediterranean, common programmes and joint calls, infrastructure and human capacity building). In, optimizing capacity building, special emphasis will be given to facilitate training and mobility of researchers. In this respect, the activities will be open to the participation of non-EU countries sharing borders with the Basin.
- Task 7.1 Strategic Analysis in the Mediterranean Region
- Task 7.2 Common Programmes in the Mediterranean Region
- Task 7.3 Joint Calls in the Mediterranean Region
- Task 7.4 Infrastructures in the Mediterranean Region
- Task 7.5 Capacity Building in the Mediterranean Region
- Task 7.6 Coordination of Mediterranean Sea activities
- D.7.1.1 A strategic research agenda for the Mediterranean Sea
- D 7.2.1 Mechanisms to address marine research priorities in the Mediterranean Sea using common programming
- D 7.3.1 Results of the Joint Call(s) for the Mediterranean Sea and follow-up actions
- D 7.4.1 A report on existing or/and new MRIs in the Mediterranean Region and a procurement strategy and recommendations for their use and sharing
- D 7.5.1 New mechanisms for human capacity building in Mediterranean marine research
In the Black Sea entrust marine research funding organizations in the Black Sea region to increase their joint activities, thus providing a basis for the sharing of knowledge expertise and resources to address issues that are beyond the capabilities of individual states in the region and enhancing synergy at pan-European level. This WP will develop and implement common research strategies and programmes related to Black Sea Basin, according to the general objectives agreed for the other regions (WP 6 and 7), namely develop a regional Science Plan, build up a common programme and launch a joint call, record the existing marine research infrastructures to assess the BS position at EU level, and assess and improve the existing instruments in human capacity building in the region.
- Task 8.1 Strategic Analysis in the Black Sea
- Task 8.2 Develop a Common Research Program in the Black Sea
- Task 8.3 Launching a Joint Call in the Black Sea
- Task 8.4 Infrastructures in the Black Sea
- Task 8.5 Capacity Building in the Black Sea
- Task 8.6 Coordination and management of the Black Sea Network
- D 8.1.1 Science Plan and the research agenda for the BS region
- D 8.2.1 Report on the Black Sea common program of the main priorities of marine research drafted by RFOs and RPOs
- D 8.3.1 Results of the Joint Call and follow-up actions
- D 8.4.1 A report on existing or/and new MRIs in the Black Sea Region and a procurement strategy and recommendations for their use and sharing
- D 8.5.1 Report on existing HCB schemes in the Black Sea countries, and new mechanisms and programs to be implemented
Will be devoted specifically to develop and implement an Information and Dissemination structure to support the activities of the project, promote communication among all partners and be a vehicle of communication between the project and the "external world". Notably, a strategy for dissemination of research project results will be developed. The dissemination products will be oriented to specific audiences in accordance to the aims of the project, the level of depth we want to achieve and what type of ways and products we should use.
- Task 9.1 Electronic information structure for marine research funding organizations
- Task 9.2 Dissemination strategy for the Project
- Task 9.3 Develop printed dissemination products
- Task 9.4 Strategy for the promotion of the uptake of project results
- D 9.1.1 Public website (.eu domain)
- D 9.1.2 Development of a e-Newsletter automatic tool
- D 9.1.3 Common search tool on National and European Marine Funded Projects
- D 9.2.1 SEAS-ERA Dissemination Strategy
- D 9.2.2 Final plan for the use and dissemination of foreground
- D 9.3.1 Dissemination materials in accordance with the objectives and timings of each WP and regional group of the project
- D 9.4.1 Strategy for the promotion of the uptake of R&D Projects results
Will take care of the efficient Management and Coordination of the Consortium and the different WPs. The main objectives will be:
- Build a sense of common purpose among the consortium members and enlarge the network to include eventually new or associated partners.
- Liaise with external initiatives and relevant bodies.
- Provide effective management of the consortium and activities in adherence with the WP.
- Oversee the co-ordination of activities and the collection of the project information.
- Task 10.1 Project coordination and network development
- Task 10.2 Coordination with other initiatives and stakeholders
- Task 10.3 Project management
- D 10.1.1 Consortium Agreement (CA)
- D 10.3.1 Periodic and final activity and management reports for the EC
- D 10.3.2 Publishable final SEAS-ERA report
- D 10.3.3 Report on "Awareness and Wider Societal Implications"